[Tutor] IDLE will not appear under Win95 (Python 2.4.2)

w chun wescpy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 20:50:37 CEST 2005

On 10/16/05, Danny Yoo <dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Dave Shea wrote:
>
> > Python installed without a complaint. However, when I fire up IDLE,
> > there is an hour glass shown for a couple of seconds, then nothing else
> > happens. When I fire up Python (command line) no problem, the DOS box
> > opens and Python starts. I've tried re-starting, using Explorer instead
> > of the Start menu, all the usual voodoo but still the IDLE refuses to
> > start.
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> According to:
>
> http://python.org/2.4.2/bugs.html
>
> IDLE might not work well if Python has been installed into Program Files.
>
> Do you know if you've done this? If so, try reinstalling and just leave
> the installation path at the defaults (Python should install under
> "C:\PYTHON24", I think.)

yep, danny is right. there always seems to be problems when there is a DOS
(C:\PROGRA~1) vs Win32 (C:\Program Files) filenaming issue. i ran into this
in previous versions of Python, and have never installed it anywhere else
other than C:\Python2x ever again. if it still doesn't work, then i too,
would recommend downloading the latest copy of win32all and PythonWin.

good luck!
-- wesley
http://corepython.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com <http://wescpy-at-gmail.com>