[Tutor] python ncurses vs OS X Tiger's xterms.

Bill Campbell bill at celestial.net
Thu Oct 13 22:43:16 CEST 2005

I'm having an ``interesting'' problem running interactive python ncurses
applications in xterms under Mac OS X where the numeric keypad is forced
into application mode and the numlock key has no effect.  We're using
curses with accounting and data entry applications for efficient keyboard
entry, which isn't efficient if one can't enter numeric data from the
keypad.

The Apple terminal program will work with the keypad entering numbers (but
the function keys don't work with it :-).

Is there any way with the python ncurses modules to force the xterm keypad
into numeric mode?  I haven't found anything in the terminfo documentation
or in the xterm X-11 Resources that control this.

FWIW, the same python applications work fine when running under XFree86 or
Xorg X-servers on Linux or FreeBSD systems.  It's only a problem under
Apple's X11, at least on Tiger and Panther which are the only machines I
have in-house for testing.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.
Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts
to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to
be one of the facts that needs altering.
                -- Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"