[Tutor] Tutor Digest, Vol 20, Issue 22

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 7 09:43:07 CEST 2005

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, sanjay sinha wrote:

> Is there any work done in language convirsion from endlish to hindi and
> vice versa

Hi Sanjay,

Machine Translation (MT) is Hard.  I believe you're asking for some kind
of automatic language translator, and I'm sure there is work being done,
but it's an active research topic.  If you are here because of the NTLK
toolkit:

    http://nltk.sourceforge.net/

please be aware that just because something is written in Python doesn't
meant that folks on Tutor know all about it.  *grin*

We can try to help you understand how to program in Python, but that's
pretty much it.  For anything more specific than that, you have to be more
targetted toward the people you talk to.  See:

We here at Python-tutor can't give you much insight on Machine
Translation, especially since your question really doesn't seem much
related to Python or learning Python.  Basically, you are posting on the
wrong forum.  Instead, try your favorite search engine on something like
"statistical natural language processing" systems, and you should be able
to find useful resources.  For example, the GATE project:

    http://www.gate.ac.uk/

might be useful, as their page talks about integrating with many different
languages including Hindi.  But other than that, we can not help you: we
really do not have expertise in this area.