[Tutor] Help Needed

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Wed Oct 5 12:29:19 CEST 2005

Steve Haley wrote:

> When I am in Python Shell of the IDLE GUI, when I click Edit/Run Script,
> I am getting a dialog box that is titled “Not saved” and states “The
> buffer for Python shell is not saved.  Please save it first.” With an
> “OK” button that just takes me back to the Shell window.  I am going
> through a book (which suggests this resource as a good place to ask
> questions) and Edit/Run Script was working just fine the other day.

This sounds kind of strange. I don't see an Edit / Run Script menu in IDLE for Python 2.3 or 2.4. I have a Run / Run Module command that is only available in the edit windows, not in the shell.

What version of Python are you using? Maybe you have a version with this menu. Normally you don't run directly from the shell window, it is for typing in commands interactively. You should open a new window and do your editing there.

Danny Yoo has a good introduction to IDLE here:
http://hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu/~dyoo/python/idle_intro/index.html

Kent