[Tutor] Object-oriented design process

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Sun Nov 27 13:49:04 CET 2005

Alan Gauld wrote:
>> I think you work at a much larger scale (of program size) than I do
>
> That's probably true.
>
> An average project for me involves about 3 months of architecture/design
> generating maybe 5 or 6 workpackages given to different teams, each of
> which will comprise between 10 and 50 programmers, so total team size
> will be around 200-400 developers/testers and produce around 2 million
> line of Java code over a year or so. I used to think that was normal but
> I've discovered that in fact most folks are working on a much smaller
> scale.

Yes, that's definitely larger than what I do! I can see why you need to think through the architecture more than I do.

> The smallest real project I've ever worked on was 7 developers for 4
> months - around 50,000 lines of C++ - it was my first C++ program and my
> first Unix project!

Most of my projects are completed by 1-4 programmers in 3-6 months. The smallest real project I can think of took me about 2-4 weeks working by myself :-)

Kent
--
http://www.kentsjohnson.com