[Tutor] Modifying Source Code while Program is Running

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Sat Nov 26 23:37:57 CET 2005

Hi Ed,

> Maybe it's just knowing what'll be possible in 10 years time and being
> impatient for it.

The problem is that over twenty years ago when I was at university the
Japanese anounced that they would have launched a 5th generation
computer language by 1990. They gave up and we are still waiting.

Part of the problem is that we are familiar with how easily our brains
can perform certain types of thought process so we asssume it must
be easy to do on a computer. But our brains work very differently
to computers and attempts to mimic the brain have so far been
dismal failures.

Sadly, I think 10 years will see less progress in software than you hope!

Pessimistically,

Alan G
Author of the learn to program web tutor