[Tutor] Help me

Christian Wyglendowski Christian.Wyglendowski at greenville.edu
Tue Nov 15 20:59:18 CET 2005

[SNIP Danny's suggestions]

> Unfortunately, I came to Python with previous programming
> experience, so I
> might not be the best person to point out what books are friendly to
> people starting from scratch.  *grin*
>
> Does anyone else have recommendations?

Python was my first programming language (I don't count PHP).  I started
learning about 4 years ago.

I found the standard tutorial by Guido quite helpful.  I had to read it
a few times though, as it moves quite fast for a tutorial (for a raw
beginner, at least).

I also went through "How to Think Like a Computer Scientist".  It is a
great book that is freely available online.

Finally, the interactive interpreter is sitting there just waiting for
you to start typing stuff in.  The help() and dir() functions are
particularly helpful when playing around in the interpreter.

Python Tutorial - http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html
How to Think Like a Computer Scientist -
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/

-also-

The Python Cookbook - http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythoncook2/

Good luck and welcome to Python!