[Tutor] Favourite modules - Wiki Was Re: TurboGears - and some issues

Ismael Garrido ismaelgf at adinet.com.uy
Tue Nov 15 17:30:31 CET 2005

Ron Phillips wrote:

>That is a good idea, and a nice page. Another would be to implement
>some "social tagging" as on del.icio.us. It's kind of a popularity
>contest, but that's really what's wanted here, I think.

I believe the guys at PyPI were trying to do something similar. They're
trying to measure the "pythoness" of modules. I'm hoping this list to
become more about helping find the favourite modules. Like, if you got
to process XML, what's the first module that comes to your mind?
(ElementTree or Amara, but surely not the SAX/DOM parsers that Python
has in the Std library)

> OTOH, the wiki
>is probably the first place anyone would look, and I saw most of the
>modules I already use, and I learned about a couple that look very
>promising.
>
>One that I use a lot is Amara
>(http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/4suite/amara/manual) for making xml more
>pythonic.

I added it to the list. Looks very promising.

>Not to take anything away from ElementTree, it's a fine
>package; but I find Amara easier to use. Some others that seem
>'missing': PIL and NumPy.

Added PIL. Not sure about NumPy... How's the deal between SciPy and
NumPy? Isn't one part of the other?

>Anyway, thanks for the page. I have it bookmarked!

Glad you liked it :)

Ismael