[Tutor] output question

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sun Nov 13 05:15:47 CET 2005

> > > from the code:
> > > try:
> > >     fsock = open("c:/TEMP/hello.txt")
> > > except IOError:
> > >     print "The file does not exist, exiting gracefully"
> > > print "Yes!!! This line will always print"

> I thought if the except situation does not happen, that means the try
> section works. At that time, I was a little confused that since the open
> statement works, why there is nothing showing. Now i know if i want to
> see a file's content on the screen, open statement is not enough.

Hi Shi Mu,

Ok, that sounds good.  I second Alan's recommendation to go through his
tutorial; it'll probably help introduce you to more of the programming
constructs that you're not familiar with yet.

One of the things that we all need to work on is identifying presumptions
and figuring out how to recognize when those assumptions aren't being
followed.  If it looks like a function like open() doesn't do what you
expect, it's a good idea to double check a tutorial that introduces that
function, just to see if it's the assumption that needs revision.  Are you
going through a tutorial now?

By the way, the exception handling above is probably not necessary; it's
probably ok to start with:

#######
fsock = open("c:/TEMP/hello.txt")
#######

without the explicit exception handling.  If it fails, it will fail
gracefully with good debugging output anyway.  If you're going to handle
an exception by exiting, just let the exception escape out: it'll usually
maintain very useful information like the stack trace.

Best of wishes!