[Tutor] Dudes with os.spawnlp

Jonas Melian jonasmg at softhome.net
Sun May 29 14:13:22 CEST 2005

This code run 'X -configure' using $PATH for looking for its path

::
try:
    #retcode = call("X" + " -configure", shell=True)  # 2.4

    code_return = os.spawnlp(os.P_WAIT, "X", "X", "-configure")

    if retcode < 0:
        print >>sys.stderr, "Child was terminated by signal", -retcode
    else:
        print >>sys.stderr, "Child returned", retcode
except OSError, e:
    print >>sys.stderr, "Execution failed:", e
::

1) The OSError exception never is runned. I tested with an command that
doesnt exist (Xe)

2) For redirecting command output message, I think that I could to use:
os.spawnlp(os.P_WAIT, "X", "X", "-configure", "&>/dev/null")
But, is there any way more elegant in python?

3) That command built a file. Is it possible knows its name?

Thanks in advance!