[Tutor] Finding word in file

Joseph Quigley cpu.crazy at gmail.com
Wed May 18 15:19:44 CEST 2005

I'm making a program that opens a file and tries to find the word you specify.
I can't get  it to find the word! I also would like to know how I can get
it to print 2 lines above and 2 lines below the line with the word specified.
One more thing, the try: IOError won't work... I type the name of a
nonexistent file and the except won't kick in and print my error message!
Not to mention the program is killed. How can i fix that?
Thanks,
         JQ

Full Code:

while True:
     file_name = raw_input("Enter the full file name: ")
     f = file(file_name, 'r')
     try:
         IOError
     except:
         print "File not found. Directories are not supported"

     while True:
         line = f.readline()
         if len(line) == 0:
             break
         find_word = raw_input("What word do you want to find (quit() to
quit)?\n> ")
         if find_word in file_name:
             print f.readline(find_word)
         elif find_word == "quit()":
             break
         print line,
     f.close()

     close = raw_input("\n\nQuit program? (Y/N)> ")
     if ((close == "Y") or ("y" == close)):
         break
     else:
        print