[Tutor] OT - SQL methodolgy

Liam Clarke cyresse at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 23:17:03 CET 2005

Hi Lloyd, it's a SQLite database, with only one app connecting, so I'm
not worried about concurrency right here, ( I think SQLite locks when
you connect anyway), but it's always good to get pointers on best
practise.

Thanks to all.

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:10:24 -0500, Lloyd Kvam <python at venix.com> wrote:
> > > In the SQL books I've got, they always seem to have an optional
> select
> > > statement on the end of inserts/updates, and I was thinking maybe I
> > > could do it that way also, but I can't figure out a logical way of
> > > putting
> > >
> > > 'select primary_key from foo where primary_key value > every other
> > > primary_key value'
> > >

> > select max(primary_key) from foo?
>
> select max will NOT work reliably when you have concurrent database
> inserts.  You could obtain the number from someone else's insert.
>
> You need to use the function provided by the RDBMS that is tied to your
> connection/cursor so that you retrieve the primary_key that was assigned
> to *your* record.
>
> (I understood your request to be looking for the primary_key
> auto-assigned to your insert statement)
>
> --
> Lloyd Kvam
> Venix Corp

'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you damn well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.