[Tutor] automatically extending PYTHONPATH?

Marcus Goldfish magoldfish at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 22:33:20 CET 2005

I am using Python 2.4/IDLE on WinXP.  I organize my sourcefiles in a
directory tree, similar to the convention used in Java.  When I create
a new subdirectory, though, I have to either (i) manually edit my
PYTHONPATH environment variable, or (ii) do a sys.append() in IDLE for
the new scripts to be visible.  Is there a workaround for this?  For
example, is there a setting in IDLE of Python to specify a root source
directory and have all subdirectories added automatically?

Hope this makes sense, and that a brilliant mind has a quick solution!

Thanks,
Marcus