[Tutor] Prepend to a list?

Liam Clarke cyresse at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 22:10:45 CET 2005

Hi Jay,

>>> x = [2,3,4,5,6,7,8]
>>> x.insert(0,1)
>>> print x
[1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8]

>>> print x.insert.__doc__
L.insert(index, object) -- insert object before index

Or

>>> a = [2,3,4,5,6,7,8]
>>> a.reverse()
>>> a.append(1)
>>> a.reverse()
>>> print a
[1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8]

>>> print a.reverse.__doc__
L.reverse() -- reverse *IN PLACE*

the IN PLACE is important. It doesn't return a modified copy, it
modifies the original list, same as L.sort()

HTH

Liam Clarke

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:52:16 -0500, Jay Loden <python at jayloden.com> wrote:
> How can I prepend something to a list? I thought that I could do
> list.prepend()  since you can do list.append() but apparently not.  Any way to
> add something to a list at the beginning, or do I just have to make a new
> list?
>
> -Jay

'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you damn well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.