[Tutor] help

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Sun Mar 13 14:08:32 CET 2005

Jeff420harris00 at wmconnect.com wrote:
> *
>    ok i have learned that on the python shell or new window you can type
> in......>>>print "hello world"...and the output is ..'hello world'.. or
> you can put in anything realy and it say it back to you.....is this a
> program or what and what is the purpose of this can you realy use this
> for any thing other then it just saying it back.

print "hello world"
is a very simple program. It is traditionally used as the first program in any programming language.
When you are able to run this program, you have learned a little bit about how to write a program in
that language. For Python, you have learned how to install Python, how to start IDLE and how to run
commands in the Python shell.

The print command in general can be very useful in a larger program. It is a simple way to give
feedback to the user of the program.

if this is not a
> program please teach me what is a program and what i need to know to
> write them and if this is a program teach me how to write better
> programs i can use outside of the python shell...

This mailing list is not a programming class, it is a place to get help when you have a specific
problem. You have to do most of the work yourself. If you are looking for someone to take your hand
and teach you all about programming you should find a class.

Imagine you are taking a math class. You will have a teacher, a textbook and homework. When you have
problems with the homework you ask a tutor for help.

and i have been reading
> and reading web pages and they talk about languges and things but i have
> yet to see any languges or anything to teach me the languges....please
> help me....THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH !!!!!*

Try the introductions for non-programmers linked on this page:
http://www.python.org/doc/Intros.html

When you have specific questions or problems ask questions here.

Kent