[Tutor] Paradox database files

Ewald Ertl ewald.ertl at hartter.com
Tue Mar 8 17:28:46 CET 2005

Hi Victor

on Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:06:50 -0600  Victor Bouffier <apple_py at biz-experts.net> wrote :

Victor Bouffier > Hi all,
Victor Bouffier > I know this is OT from Python, but does anybody know how to fix my
Victor Bouffier > library issues. I get some awkward dependencies issues from these pylib
Victor Bouffier > libraries.
Victor Bouffier >
Victor Bouffier > # rpm -Uvh pxlib-0.4.3-1.i386.rpm
Victor Bouffier > error: Failed dependencies:
Victor Bouffier >         libbz2.so.1.0 is needed by pxlib-0.4.3-1.i386
Victor Bouffier >
Victor Bouffier > but when I look into my libraries I find the necessary ones under /usr/lib:
Victor Bouffier >
Victor Bouffier > # ll /usr/lib/libbz2*
Victor Bouffier > -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 67594 Jun 15  2004 /usr/lib/libbz2.a
Victor Bouffier > lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    11 Feb  6 11:02 /usr/lib/libbz2.so -> libbz2.so.1
Victor Bouffier > lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    15 Feb  6 10:10 /usr/lib/libbz2.so.1 ->
Victor Bouffier > libbz2.so.1.0.2
Victor Bouffier > lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    24 Mar  8 09:41 /usr/lib/libbz2.so.1.0 ->
Victor Bouffier > /usr/lib/libbz2.so.1.0.2
Victor Bouffier > -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 71724 Jun 15  2004 /usr/lib/libbz2.so.1.0.2
Victor Bouffier >

Perhap's there is a problem with the RPM-Database. I don't know how rpm works internaly, but it
controls somewhere in a "database", which packages are installed on the system.

On an old SuSE-System I can search, to which package a file belongs

rpm -q -f /usr/lib/libbz2.so
bzip2-1.0.2-103

Here I see, that libbz2.so belongs to the bzip2-Package.
The other way is to list the files belonging to a package:

rpm -q -l bzip2-1.0.2-103
/usr/bin/bunzip2
/usr/bin/bzcat
/usr/bin/bzip2
/usr/bin/bzip2recover
/usr/include/bzlib.h
/usr/lib/libbz2.a
/usr/lib/libbz2.la
/usr/lib/libbz2.so
/usr/lib/libbz2.so.1
/usr/lib/libbz2.so.1.0.0

During the installation/update-Process, I think, rpm looks up, all dependencys mentioned
in the rpm if they are installed on the system via the "database" where it logs,
what is installed.

Try if you can get a package to which your /usr/lib/libbz2.so.1 belongs.

The other way is, to install the rpm-Package without depdency-check's, but this
could result in the availability of the pxlib-Package, but it perhaps does not work.
You've to test this, before you keep the package.

"rpm -Uvh --nodeps"

This should ignore the dependencies and install the package.