[Tutor] Paradox database files

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 8 02:51:35 CET 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Victor Bouffier wrote:

> Does anybody know of a Python module to read from Paradox database
> files? I don't need to write back to the files. These files are being
> exported using a proprietary application and I need to parse them to
> extract transaction information.

Hi Victor,

You might be interested in 'pxview':

    http://pxlib.sourceforge.net/pxview.html

which can extract CSV-formatted files out of Paradox Database files.  Once
you have your data in CSV format, then Python's "csv" module can come into
play:

    http://www.python.org/doc/lib/module-csv.html

Alternatively, you might be able to use the pxlib Python bindings
directly.  According to:

    http://pxlib.sourceforge.net/documentation.php?manpage=pxlib

a Python binding exists somewhere out there, though I haven't been able to
find it yet... ok, found it, but it appears you might need to check it out
of CVS:

    http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/pxlib/bindings/

so this might not be as easy to use right out of the box.