[Tutor] Anyone know of a window utility to reverse engineer unknown binary graphic file format?

Liam Clarke cyresse at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 00:11:45 CET 2005

Slightly OT, but I'd recommend Irfanview, a wonderful piece of
freeware. If it can't open it, it's probably not in a standard
graphics file format.

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 14:31:50 -0800 (PST), Danny Yoo
<dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, R. Alan Monroe wrote:
>
> > I have some graphics files from an old DOS game that I want to convert
> > to a normal .png or whatever. Anyone know of a program that can load
> > binary data and view it multiple different ways? Like treating the raw
> > data as 1 bit, 4 bit, 8 bit, planar, linear, adjust the pitch and
> > offset, etc. in some kind of GUI until you get a recognizable image?
>
> Hi Alan,
>
> A lot of image types contain a recognizable header that you might be able
> to use.  Python comes with a library that tries its best to recognize
> certain image file types:
>
>     http://www.python.org/doc/lib/module-imghdr.html
>
> You may want to do a quick check with imghdr to see if it's something
> standard that 'imghdr' can recognize.  Another possibility is to use the
> 'file' Unix utility, which also recognizes a surprising variety of file
> formats.
>
> Otherwise, I'm out of ideas at the moment.  *grin* You may want to ask
> your question on comp.lang.python, since it is slightly unusual to get a
> file and have to infer the file type.

'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you damn well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.