[Tutor] returning table elements with Beautiful Soup

Bill Kranec billk at fastmail.fm
Sat Mar 5 05:05:53 CET 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to use Beautiful Soup to scrape some data out of an HTML
table.  I can do this using

table = soup("td", {'class' : 'yfnc_tabledata1' })
table[0].string.strip()

However, if I try

for entry in table:
    entry.string.strip()

I get: AttributeError: Tag instance has no attribute 'string'

Clearly Python is now treating the cell as a list element, not as a
Beautiful Soup class, so it cannot find the method that I want to use.
But I can't seem to find a way to do what I meant to do.

Is there an easy way to have Beautiful Soup return each data element in
the table, preferably into a list?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bill