[Tutor] CGIXMLRPCRequestHandler doesn't actually work, does it?

Ron Phillips RPhillips at engineer.co.summit.oh.us
Fri Jun 24 17:39:20 CEST 2005

Kent wrote:

CGI requires a running HTTP server in front of it. The server receives
the HTTP request, sees that it is a CGI request, starts a new process
with the environment set according to the CGI protocol, and runs the CGI
handler. Do you understand this relationship? (I mean that kindly, your
response makes me suspect there is a fair amount of black magic in this
for you.)

The snippet above just starts a simple CGI-capable HTTP server. It is
useful for testing, not an essential part of the recipe. If you have
other CGIs working you must have a working HTTP server already, such as
Apache or IIS.

In your initial post you said "I have run other CGI scripts in the same
directory." Were those CGIs written in Python? How did you run them?

Kent
-------------------------------------
Well, I understand the words, and I can see that the HTTP server (IIS,
in this case) hands off CGI stuff to a CGI handler -- but I think that
IS a fair amount of black magic! So no, I really can't claim any deep
understanding of the process.

What I ran before were simple little test scripts of the
"HelloWorld.py" variety. I would put them in the cgi-bin directory and
invoke them with the browser, or with the HTTPLib in the command line,
and I would get something back.

When I invoke any script in the cgi-bin that has
CGIXMLRPCRequestHandler in it through localhost or localhost:80, the
program freezes right up. Nothing returned, nothing in the IIS error
log, no reply at all. However, the little test scripts that you and Joe
provided run just fine as long as I don't use IIS as the server. Maybe I
should have posted "IIS and CGIXMLRPCRequestHandler doesn't work at
all!!" Seriously, it looks like my IIS installation is at fault --
probably some setting I need to change.

I wonder if that's the reason for all those unanswered posts -- it's
not a Python problem, per se? Odd, though, that IIS is perfectly happy
to run a Python script unless it has CGIXMLRPCRequestHandler in it.

Ron