[Tutor] database app

Alan G alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Sun Jun 19 16:38:19 CEST 2005

> database and display customer information on web. ok, easy enough.
>     heres the trick.  the database is MS Access. - ick.

ick indeed, but maybe for different reasons...

There is an ODBC database driver that you can use to
access Access. But you will have to be careful about
locking if the traffic is high. Access was designed
as a single uuser desktop database and that legacy
still shows through. The very latest versions are
better but if you have more than 1 simultaneous update
going on at a time I'd consider moving the database
or using snapshot technology or similar, Access locks
by pages (default 2K?) which can mean a lot of data
rows being locked by a single update.

Make sure as a minimum that you are not locking on reads!

HTH,

Alan G.