[Tutor] A newbie question about running python scripts

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Thu Jun 16 18:03:05 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 08:08 -0700, typetext wrote:
> I get exactly the same error message as below. What could be going on
> here? To check that I am not misspelling the name, I also wrote a
> script that says print "helloworld" and saved it as hello.py. The same
> message comes up then, as well. Any input is appreciated..
> Michael Riggs, Seattle.

There seems to be some miss-understanding on what's going on!  It seems
to me that you're typing "python", hitting Enter key, then typing
"helloworkd.py" *inside* the Python interactive shell and that's *not*
what I said!

All you need to type is "python helloworld.py", then hit the Enter key.
Of course, you need to be inside the directory that holds that file.

Just start a command prompt, type "cd C:\Documents and Settings\Micky",
hit Enter, type "python helloworld.py", hit Enter and your script should
run fine.

If you get anything else, just repost here again.  Do *not* let this get
in your way of learning!  If I (or anyone else on this list) didn't want
to help you, we wouldn't responded to your questions in the first place.

Ziyad.