[Tutor] Strange IndexError

Willi Richert w.richert at gmx.net
Tue Jun 14 10:07:56 CEST 2005

Hi Danny,

I've posted the bug at the pyro ML. However the old IndexError annoys me more
and more. Although I have encapsulated it with try/except blocks and that
works ok for what I want, I really want to understand how an exception like

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "NeedBrain.py", line 257, in update
    assert type(self.STAY_MIN_DIST)==type(1.0), str(self.STAY_MIN_DIST)+"is
not float"
IndexError: tuple assignment index out of range

is thrown. I mean, this line of code must be some Python related stuff. The
only alternativ would be that self has some __getattr__ methods that were
invoked. But then, the exception would have bin in that method, wouldn't it?
The only place where STAY_MIN_DIST is set is as a class variable:

class ApproachMarkerAction(State):
    STAY_MIN_DIST = 2.0
    def __init__(self, markerType=None, status = 0, name = ''):

Thanks for any clarification,
wr