[Tutor] Calling a function

Ewald Ertl ewald.ertl at hartter.com
Thu Jun 9 09:19:57 CEST 2005

Hi!
I don't know if I'm right here, because I've tested a simple model of what you're
trying to do:

on Wed, 8 Jun 2005 23:45:59 -0700  Kevin Reeder <reederk at comcast.net> wrote :

Kevin Reeder > import time, makezeros
Kevin Reeder >
Kevin Reeder > def do_timing(num_times, *funcs):

Here funcs is a tuple containing all remaining arguments of the functions.

Kevin Reeder >     totals = {}
Kevin Reeder >     for func in funcs: totals[func] = 0.0
Kevin Reeder > 	for x in range(num_times):
Kevin Reeder > 	for func in funcs:
Kevin Reeder > 	    starttime = time.time()
Kevin Reeder > 	    apply(func)
Kevin Reeder > 	    stoptime = time.time()
Kevin Reeder > 	    elapsed = stoptime-starttime
Kevin Reeder > 	    totals[func] = totals[func] + elapsed
Kevin Reeder > 	 for func in funcs:
Kevin Reeder > 	     print "Running %s %d times took %.3f seconds" %
Kevin Reeder > (func.__name__, num_times, totals[func])
Kevin Reeder >
Kevin Reeder > do_timing(100, (makezeros.lots_of_appends, makezeros.one_multiply))

You call do_timing() with the number of calls and one Argument, the tuple of functions,
so the funcs in do_timing() is a tuple containing your tuple on the call here.

Calling it this way should solve it:

do_timing(100, makezeros.lots_of_appends, makezeros.one_multiply)

Here is a short extract from the Python-Shell of my test:

>>> def myfuncs( *funcs):
...     for func in funcs:
...             apply( func )
>>> def sayHello():
...     print "Hello\n"
>>> myfuncs( sayHello, sayHello )
Hello

Hello

>>> myfuncs( ( sayHello, sayHello) )
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "<stdin>", line 3, in myfuncs
TypeError: 'tuple' object is not callable