[Tutor] Postgresql+Python -tutorial?

Olli Rajala olli.rajala at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 22:07:39 CEST 2005

I said:
> > I've been using MySQL up this day, but would like to convert
> > my program to use Postgresql.

And then Alan G replied:
> I'm curious. Why?
> Is there some advantage to Postgres over MySql?

Well, I'm not 100% sure. I've been using MySql some years now. It may
sound that I know much, but I've done only some very basic programs,
so... But I know something about the differences. Quite many system
administrator don't think MySQL as Real SQL(tm) database. It has been
improved during last years, but it doesn't meet the SQL standards
(yet) but Postgresql does that. That's probably the biggest reason. If
you want to do it by easy way, use MySQL, there just is so much more
tutorials and other info around the Net, but if you want to get system
that meet standards, try Postgresql.

Oh, and thanks for the guy who suggested me the other list
concentrating for databases. I got there the info I needed and now my
program is under total refactoring. At least the sql side... ;)

> Ubuntu??? A linux distro maybe?

Yep. The best of the best of the best. :) http://www.ubuntulinux.org
For those who know something about Linux, it's 'Debian loaded with
current software'. ;) I mean, it's based on Debian, but the dev cycle
is much faster than with Debian.

Yours,
--
Olli Rajala <><
Tampere, Finland

"In theory, Theory and Practice should be
the same. But in practice, they aren't."
- Murphy's Proverbs