[Tutor] imbedding python into another program?

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Jun 1 23:33:19 CEST 2005

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Jeff Peery wrote:

> hello, is it possible to add something like the python IDLE into another
> program

Hi Jeff,

Getting IDLE to work within wxPython is technically possible, but probably
a little tricky, since it'll involve getting the GUI event loops to
cooperate.

I believe it is doable --- there's code in the Twisted Python project, for
example, that allows the Tkinter event loop to integrate into Twisted's
event loop.  That being said, this might be overkill for what you're
trying to do.

> say if I wanted to simply run scripts from within a wxPython program?
> Could someone point me to the correct reference? thanks.

Hmmm... do you necessarily have to have those scripts run through IDLE
then?  What kind of scripts are you trying to run through wxPython?
Would something like the 'commands' module be useful for you?

    http://www.python.org/doc/lib/module-commands.html

Best of wishes to you!