[Tutor] OT: we won't eat VB programmers for lunch [Was: How do I make Python draw?]

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 28 01:25:24 CEST 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, luke wrote:

> > Thanks. Will ask if I have any more questions. Maybe I won't have to
> > go to Visual Basic to write my games. Maybe Python will do the trick.
>
> Oh my god.
> Don't ever compare Python to Basic on a python mailing list.
>
> You'll get eaten alive ;-)

[text cut]

> VB is not a good language to learn because it is the complete opposite
> of every other programming language.

Hi Luke,

I think we should be a bit more sympathetic than that.  I once had the
very unpleasant experience of being at the receiving end of programming
language elitism, and it did not feel nice at all.

I guess I'm trying to say: it might not be the best thing to do to
vehemently say: "Visual Basic is bad".  The problem is that it has a
strong tendency to be interpreted as the personal insult:  "Visual Basic
programmers are bad".  And that's not likely to be taken well.  *grin*