[Tutor] {Possible Spam?} How to use the import math function

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 20 23:23:35 CEST 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Jimmy wrote:

> My assignment is this:

[assignment cut]

> But I have no clue on how to make it work.  I tried many different
> variations to get it to work but in the end nothing happened.

Hi Jimmy,

First, please note that we will not do homework assignments, so we will
probably not be able to give direct help on this.  I strongly recommend
you look at:

because it may help you learn how to ask questions that people are happy
to help with.  That being said, since something like this happened last
week, I'll try to write with a cooler head this time.

What you say "I have no clue how to make it work", even if you're
confused, you should also try to say what "it" is.  As it stands, we can't
tell at all what you're getting stuck on: you can't be stuck on the whole
of Chapter Three, so try to narrow things down.  Are you getting stuck on
what modules are, or how to use them, or ...?

You might be shy about showing what you've done, because to you, they
might look like beginner mistakes.  And some of the variations you've
tried might be correct, but perhaps you're not interpreting the results as
being correct.

Or you could be doing things completely wrong.  *grin*

That's probably not the case.  But because we can't read minds well, we
need to see the work you've done.  We're not clarovoyant: we must see what
you've tried so far, because we use what you show us to better understand
what you're having trouble with.

Also, you may want to look at some additional material just to get a
different perspective on what you're learning.  Here's one tutorial from
Alan Gauld called "Learning to Program":

    http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/

I've found it personally easier to read than Allen Downey's "How to Think
Like a Computer Scientist", but I know that's personal preference.  You
may also want to look at:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers

Good luck.