[Tutor] is there an online exam or coarse i can take to get a certificate

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Jul 18 06:40:11 CEST 2005

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, Andreas Kostyrka wrote:

> Am Samstag, den 16.07.2005, 19:39 +0500 schrieb Mustafa Abbasi:
> > is there an online exam or coarse i can take to get a certificate in
> > python. preferrably cheap and online because i live in pakistan and
> > online exams are my only hope.
>
> Not that I would know. Certification for a programming language is even
> less useful IMHO than for administration knowledge ;)

As a warning, the general feeling among the open source community seems be
be that most certificate programs are useless.  For example:

   http://wingware.com/pipermail/marketing-python/2002-February/003790.html

is anecdotal, but does reflect the popular sentiment that someone who has
a portfolio of real programming projects at hand can show more promise
that who who only has a certificate.

I don't believe there is a consensus yet on a strong, legitimate
accreditation program.  Most of us on the list probably don't know too
much about formal certification, as many of us here are volunteers.  But I
suspect that any of the professional organizations (IEEE, ACM) should be
able to help you in this; try contacting your local engineering groups.

You may also want to ask your question on the main comp.lang.python
newsgroup.  Wait, I see that you may have done this already:

    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/python-list/2744017

Ok, hopefully you should be able to get some answers from there too.

Good luck to you.