[Tutor] OT python Licences

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Tue Jul 12 12:44:28 CEST 2005

Dave S wrote:
> This is a bit OT but here goes.
>
> My work wants me to write a fairly large python script to analyze some
> technical ASCII data files. Python and its libraries are GPL.
>
> That being the case am I right in thinking that my script would also
> have to be GPL and I would have to inform my employer as I hand it over ?

No, Python is not released under the GPL and there are very few restrictions on redistributing it. See
http://www.python.org/doc/faq/general.html#are-there-copyright-restrictions-on-the-use-of-python

AFAIK you can license your *scripts* in any way you choose.

> Secondly it would have to run in Windows, The results could pop up on a
> DOS window. However I was looking at QT until I read the Windows
> license. Are there any widget libraries that would allow me to program
> for windows commercially without any license or fees ?

Tkinter (included with Python) and wxPython are both popular for this. The general consensus seems to be that Tkinter is easier to use for small projects while wxPython is more complete and better at creating apps that match users' expectations of look-and-feel.
http://www.wxpython.org

Kent