[Tutor] Abnormal \r character in csv text files: csv module error

Alessandro Brollo alex_brollo at yahoo.it
Mon Jul 11 22:28:00 CEST 2005

Abnormal \r characters inside a .csv text file raise
an error when the file is read by csv.reader() (Python
2.3).

I'm sending the following files:
test.txt   : a "csv"-like text file with a \r
character;
test1.txt  : same file, with an x replacing \r;
example.txt: the hard copy of my Python shell when
testing csv.reader() on former files.

I found this error when reading a many-mega, SAS
export csv file; I'm a Python beginner, and I found
hard to understand such an error and to find the three
abnormal \r characters inside!

This is a warning to newbies like me and a question
for experts: is it a bug into csv module?

http://mail.yahoo.it