[Tutor] Is it possible to...

Byron byron at christianfreebies.com
Sun Jul 10 16:09:14 CEST 2005

Alan G wrote:

>> I was just wondering if it is possible to use Python as a language to
>> password protect a webpage?
>

> Yes it is possible but you will need to have a web server that can run
> Pyhon and there aren't too many of those on the internet...

However, there are some hosters that do allow Python scripts.  If you
search google for "web hosters" + Python, you will find a variety of
them.  One that looks interesting is:
http://www.synergyconnect.com/Linux_Plans/Linux/Linux_Web_Hosting_Plans/

> OTOH if its a privately owned web server then password protection is
> usually a standard configuration item of the web server, you just edit
> a file and tell it to password protect a particular file or folder.
> Certainly Apache and Xitami work like that, no coding needed.

I agree.  This is by far, the best option -- however, if Nathan is
wanting to learn how to password protect a page using Python technology,
I would recommend that he check out the following page:

http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Python/Python-on-the-Web/

HTHs,

Byron
---