[Tutor] Can I use def without ( ) at the end?

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sun Jul 10 08:34:04 CEST 2005

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005, Nathan Pinno wrote:

>   Also, I just wanted to know because I'm using it in my Giant Computer
> program for the menus, so I don't have to keep re-typing them.

Hi Nathan,

Wait; Nathan, are you using the IDLE Python programming environment to
edit your programs?  I just want to make sure that you're using some kind
of text editor.  You should NOT be retyping programs by hand: a good text
editor will do that for you.

I have a quick-and-dirty visual guide to IDLE here that shows the concept
of using a programmer-friendly text editor:

    http://hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu/~dyoo/python/idle_intro/index.html

I wrote that tutorial a few years ago, so some of the menu options are
different --- in particular, Run Script is now somewhere under the Module
menu.  (One of these days, I'll fix that...)  But most of the material
there is still relevant and should help you use IDLE effectively.

Best of wishes to you!