[Tutor] Naming conventions (was: Should this be a list comprehension or something?

Liam Clarke cyresse at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 05:43:47 CET 2005

Don't get me wrong, underscores have their place,
butNotInEveryVariableName.
That_was_only_slightly_less_annoying, however.

I propose a new syntax -

All methods, shall be called Jacques, or a derivative thereof (Jack, Jake etc.)

All variables, Claude.

Oh, and you could use funny little symbols like @_> to clarify the
whole situation....

(in other words, Python is always more readable then certain camels.)

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:10:49 -0500, Kent Johnson <kent37 at tds.net> wrote:
> iguessthereisnooptionleftexcepttorunwordstogetherwithoutanykindofbreakatall
>
> thatshouldannoyeveryoneequally
>
> Kent
>
> Liam Clarke wrote:
> > Just please_don't_use_underscores.
> >
> > They_make_my_eyes_go_funny_, _and_code_hard_to_read_in_my_opinion.
> >
> > _u_n_d_e_r_s_c_o_r_e_s_ _a_r_e__u_g_l_y_....
> >
> > I got out of the habit of using them really fast.
> > Also, __ & _ tend to have special meaning in Python (which is bad
> > enough as it is), so I don't use them for that reason as well.
> >

> > Liam Clarke
> > On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:54:08 -0500, Jacob S. <keridee at jayco.net> wrote:
> >
> >>You're my best friend. Everyone else looves camelCase, and I hate it too. It
> >>doesn't make sense. It doesn't fit English.
> >>It doesn't fit Spanish. It doesn't fit any other language AFAIK, so why
> >>should a human (who uses spoken language) to computer interpreter use a
> >>naming convention that doesn't match spoken language? That's my opinion.
> >>
> >>Jacob Schmidt

'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you damn well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.