[Tutor] Please Help with Python Script for Xbox Media Center

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat Jan 29 03:54:52 CET 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Rodney Butler wrote:

> I have written a script that is designed to load when you start your
> xbox, it gets a list of your music playlists then lets you select which
> one to load, shuffle and play, then the script exits.  What I need is
> for the script to automatically select the highlighted playlist if there
> is no user input for 10 seconds.

Hi Rodney,

It appears that you're using some kind of GUI interface called 'xbmcgui'.
Only a few of us have done xbmc stuff; you may have better luck asking
from a XBMC-specific game forum.

You can set up a thread to do something in the background;  I did a quick
Google search and picked out:

    http://www.ek-clan.vxcomputers.com/flashscripts/AQTbrowser.py

This appears to use threads to implement a http timeout, and you can
probably adapt this to automatically select a playlist if the user hasn't
selected one in time.

Without having an XBOX, however, I have no way of testing this. So we
recommend you talk with someone on one of the forums.

Oh!  I see that you've just posted on:

http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.pl?s=0d6bed0f9584b8406d5f458ffaeb187c;act=ST;f=21;t=10108

and have gotten a similar advice to use threads.  Ok, good.  Use threads.
*grin*

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask.  But the folks on
that forum probably know better than us, so try them first.

Best of wishes to you!