[Tutor] Compile Only

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Thu Jan 27 14:20:32 CET 2005

If your program is written so it doesn't do anything when imported, you could use
  > python -c "import myprogram"

myprogram.py should have a structure like this:

def main():
   # do something...

if __name__ == '__main__':
   main()

The "if __name__ ..." prevents the module from doing anything when it is imported; main() will only
be run when the module is run directly.

Kent