[Tutor] Unique Items in Lists

Srinivas Iyyer srini_iyyer_bio at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 07:17:48 CET 2005

Dear Jacob, thank you for your suggestion.

however, i think my question was not clear. what i
meant to ask in my previous question was, how to know
which elements repeated and how many times they were
repeated.

while my question was flying, i did a small test:

took a list:
>>> a
[1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 2, 2]

wanted to know which elements repeated and how many
times:

for i in range(len(a)):
	for k in range(len(a)):
		if i != k:
			if a[i] == a[k]:
				print a[i]
				break

1
1
2
2
2

In this very huge list (:-) kidding) of 7 elements, it
is easy know by the above primitive code that there 1
s repeated two times, and 2 s repeated three times and
finally 1 and 2 numbers are repeated in list a:

With sets option i get a list of unique elements, but
by no means i get to know which elements were repeated
and how many times.  With the above primitive code , I
know that 1 and 2 are peated.  However, in case where
there are thousands of entries, how can I get to kno
wich elements got repeated and how many times.

Do you see any flaws in this code, how can that be
made to look more pyhonian way.

Hope my question is clear now and appreciate your
suggestions.

Thank you in advance
Srini