[Tutor] New to Python

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Jan 27 03:32:41 CET 2005

[Jason White]
>> I'm curious about good tutorial websites and books to buy.

[Max Noel]
> I learned Python (well, the basics thereof -- enough to do useful
> stuff on my summer job, anyway ^^) in an afternoon using the official
> tutorial that's found somewhere on http://www.python.org/. It's very
> good provided you already have some programming experience

If you (Jason) are using Windows, then you absolutely want to install Mark
Hammond's pywin32 extensions as well as Python itself.  If you use PythonWin
as your IDE (and you might as well, at least at first), then to get to the
tutorial, you can just open PythonWin, and select "Python Manuals" from the
Help menu, then click "Tutorial".  I absolutely agree that it's the best
place to start.

>> I also have a development question for anybody who might know.  The
>> project I'm working on now to develop my python skills is a prgram to
>> script control another windows program.  The program doesn't have a
>> published API so I'll probably need to locate memory addresses data
>> fields and button routines.

There's a Python library for controlling Windows in this sort of way
(simulating mouse clicks and so on), although the name escapes me at the
moment.  However, are you positive that you can't control it properly?
Check to see if it has a COM interface (you can use PythonWin to do that),
and use that if possible.

=Tony.Meyer