[Tutor] Intro for interfacing with Microsoft Access?

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Sat Jan 15 13:28:12 CET 2005

You have to set up your Access database as an ODBC data source. I can't give you all the details but
on my Win2k system if I go to Start / Control Panels / Administrative Tools / Data Sources (ODBC)
that is the place to set it up.

IIRC you give the data source a name. Then in the ODBC driver (the win32all odbc package) you create
a connection giving it the data source name and probably a user name and password. When it's all set
up you can use SQL to talk to the database.

You might have to fiddle a bit to get all the pieces set up :-)

It looks like the win32all package uses the Python DB-API so you can read about that (find the
database SIG at python.org) for some help in how to use it.

I did this long ago from Java so I'm pretty sketchy on the details, maybe someone else is more
current on it than me.

Kent