[Tutor] Tix and Table printing

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Fri Jan 14 09:47:49 CET 2005

> I'm not yet used to search in the cookbook... and I though such
> "basic" widget would have been implemented directly in Tk or Tix...

A bit of historic perspective. John Ousterhout invented TCl/Tk
to provide a control language for his electrical engineering
projects. Thus its focus is on GUIs to control hardware rather
than display data, so a table widget wasn't an obvious requirement.

In fact table widgets didn't become common in GUI toolkits
till the mid '90's when Visual Basic introduced one, then
Delphi, then everyone started adding them when it became
obvious how useful they were. But the first version of MFC
(the Windows native GUI) and also the Smalltalk GUI (one
of the first ever) had no table widget, programmers had
to craft their own! Tk was written in the 80's so given
its origins was not likely to have a table.

Of course it would be nice if they added one now!!!

Alan G.