[Tutor] automatically finding site-packages and python2.3 in a linux machine

Fred Lionetti lordvader at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 19:29:13 CET 2005

Hi everyone,

I'm working on creating an installer for my program using install
shield, and I'd like to know how one can automatically determine if
Python 2.3 is installed on a linux machine, and where site-packages is
located (so that I can install my own files there).  For my Windows
version I was able to search for the python2.3 entry in the windows
registry, but I don't know how do the equivalent from linux.  Any
ideas?

Thanks
Fred