[Tutor] How to run a script file

John Purser johnp at milwaukielumber.com
Wed Jan 5 00:04:12 CET 2005

Bernard,

If you're new to Linux you might not be aware of an additional method to run
python scripts.  If the first line of your script is:
#!/usr/bin/python

And you've set your script permissions to be executable (chmod 700
myscript.py) then you can run your script just like any other program.  You
can double click on it in a GUI environment or run it from a command prompt
by just typing the script name.  Or depending on the value of $PATH variable
you might need to type "./myscript.py".  Those first characters have to be
right though.  I'm assuming your python is in /usr/bin.  And that is a hash
mark followed by an exclamation point.  This is called "hash bang" in
uningo.

John Purser