[Tutor] dumping .pck files

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Mon Jan 3 10:53:53 CET 2005

> It seems that to do a good job of dumping the data, I need to tell
it
> what this class looks like.
>
> Are there alternatives?  Does the pickle format really not provide a
> way to inspect the data without the class definitions?

I suspect that loading the file into a good text editror like vim
or emacs will be more helpful. But pickle files are not self
describing like XML etc. This is because they are designed to
be compact and XML typically multiplies the raw data size by 10!

Pickle files are not intended to be read by humans merely a
way for a program to make objects persistent between runs.

Alan G.