[Tutor] Active Python

Brian van den Broek bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca
Sat Feb 19 09:24:43 CET 2005

Bill Mill said unto the world upon 2005-02-18 20:29:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:20:03 -0800 (PST), Terry Carroll <carroll at tjc.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Jeff Shannon wrote:
>>

>>>On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:54:43 -0800 (PST), Terry Carroll <carroll at tjc.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>Interesting -- I prefer the CHM (Windows helpfile), because it's
>>>internally indexed.  I feel that the internal search is more
>>>convenient than external searches would be.  But I suppose that
>>>there's room for reasonable people to disagree, here. :)
>>
>>Sure, and I'd expect I'm in the minority.
>>
>>I use Agent Ransack for searching files on my system.  I do a search for,
>>for example, a filename of html$ containing the word "socket"  and can get
>>a pretty good look at what I'm looking for.
>>
>>I'll bet that the CHM file can do that at least as well, but since
>>I use Agent Ransack for all my document searches (Python-related or
>>otherwise), it's most convenient for me use one consistent mechanism.
>>
>>I'll tell you, if Google desktop had a way of limiting searches to
>>specific directories, I'd be in heaven.
>>

> How do you live without cygwin? Just 'cd' to the directory and 'grep
> -r' to search through it. It's the first thing I install on a windows
> box, even before python.
>
> Peace
> Bill Mill
> bill.mill at gmail.com

Hi all,

I like the html docs and Agent Ransack, too. (Not yet command line
oriented.)

I've lately been making use of pydoc's html documentation server. I
started when wanting to use it on my own modules; I've been finding it
is really useful to use for quick reference on built ins, too.

Best,

Brian vdB