[Tutor] Active Python

Terry Carroll carroll at tjc.com
Fri Feb 18 00:54:43 CET 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Robert Campbell wrote:

> I am not a programmer, but have decided to learn Python.  I am wondering
> if anyone has used the Activestate ActivePython and what are the
> advantages/disadvantages of using it rather than the standard Python
> tools.

If you're on Windows, I recommend it.

It is the full Python, plus some Windows extensions.

The only downside I've encountered is that, as of 2.4, it no longer
includes the Help files in their original HTML format.  Instead, there's
just one big help file in Windows Help format.

I prefer the HTML, because I can then run searches against it from
outside the help system.  I've gotten around this by also installing the
help files from www.python.org; that gives me everything but the
Win32-specific stuff.