[Tutor] freeze

Shitiz Bansal shitizb at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 5 04:37:14 CET 2005

Hi,

I intend to create compiled python binaries on linux.
I understand that freeze can be used to do this.
But I have few doubts i would like to clarify.

1. In the freeze documentation i found the lines:

"One tricky issue: Freeze assumes that the Python
interpreter and
environment you're using to run Freeze is the same one
that would be
used to run your program, which should also be the
same whose sources
and installed files you will learn about in the next
section.  In
particular, your PYTHONPATH setting should be the same
as for running
your program locally.  (Tip: if the program doesn't
run when you type
"python hello.py" there's little chance of getting the
frozen version
to run.)"

My intention is to create files which can be run on
Linux systems with python not installed.Do the above
lines mean that freeze can't do it(which defeats the
very pupose of the program i guess.).

2. While compiling with freeze....it seems that it is
including all the available modules, even if they are
not required.Of course using freeze -X is one
option,but it being really cumbersome, is there a
better option available.

In case the above issues do present a problem, is
there any alternative to freeze?

Shitiz