[Tutor] Python 2.4 with Mandrake 10.0 query

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Feb 3 02:46:28 CET 2005

> > Ah!  Check to see if there's a "sets.py" program somewhere in your
> > current working directory.  It's very likely that Python is picking
> > that up, instead of the 'sets' standard library module.
>
> You're a genius! That's exactly what I'd done.

Hi Glen,

I'd attribute it not to genius, but more to pattern matching:  I've seen
that particular problem a lot.  *sigh* But I'm very glad that the
problem's identified and fixed.

> > I wrote a small module a while back as a proposed solution to the issue:
> >
> >     http://hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu/~dyoo/python/__std__/
> >
> > but I don't think it's really being used.
> >
> It also explains the odd results I was getting when I did import the
> sets module. Thanks, I'll have a look at your module.

You probably won't need it; PEP 328 is supposed to handle this issue
properly:

    http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0328.html

My __std__ package is a kludge, and I know it's a kludge.  *grin* I
noticed that someone else had run into limitations using it:

    http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/python/python/348985

so it's not as useful as I had first thought.

Best of wishes to you!