[Tutor] new to linux and I cannot find some python things

Brian van den Broek broek at cc.umanitoba.ca
Wed Dec 28 23:29:52 CET 2005

Hi all,

I'm a week or so into having switched from WinXP to linux (ubuntu
breezy). There is a lot to learn about the differences in the OS'es
and that's just fine.

But, a couple of things have been in my way with Python. Most notably,
  I don't know how one browses the documentation. On Windows, I just
fired up the .chm (I think cmh--at any rate, the compiled help file.)

I have installed the docs on the linux side and they can be found by
python:

 >>> help()
<snip welcome msg>
help> NONE

   2.3.10.7 The Null Object

   This object is returned by functions that don't explicitly return a

<truncate output>

I assume there is some linux facility for documentation browsing that
beats importing modules and accessing docstrings. I'd work it out
eventually, but a timesaving pointer would be appreciated.

Best to all,

Brian vdB