[Tutor] Editors

Steven Bell sfbell at keasdesign.net
Wed Dec 14 05:28:31 CET 2005

Here's my two cents on ide's for Python.
Idle... It's got a nice color scheme but it's tkinter gui is a bit dated
and it's short many of the built-in convenience features.
PyWin... Slightly better, but still feels weak to me. Win32 specific though.
PyCrust (and it's derivatives) last I knew were included with wxPython
the gui toolkit. wasn't a big fan of them.
SPE. Just installed it yesterday and used it today on a sizable web
service/plpythonu program. I was pleased in general with the color
scheme, I liked the vertical lines showing indentation down through the
document. I tried a couple of the fun frilly features like the run,
debug and explorer a bit. It's interesting enough to keep me coming back
for a bit.
Jedit. Java editor. Really my swiss-army knife of development. I use it
for Perl, PHP, asp, JSP, Java, Python, C++...blah blah blah...
Komodo - untried, but the screenies look decent.
Eclipse - tried it, found the one plugin to be ok. Seemed a bit overkill
for my usual python work
Boa Constructor (Mostly RAD Gui Development) complex, but very useful
for those wxPython projects.

Top Three:
Jedit
Idle (surprise!)