[Tutor] regular expressions

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Dec 7 18:39:47 CET 2005

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, ps python wrote:

> sorry for repost. awaiting to hear from some members.  a scientist
> suggested me to try biopython. This point is not just with genbank
> sequences. what will i do if i have to parse a paragraph for some
> expression.  thanks again.

Hello,

I just want to clarify: we're a volunteer group, so getting answers within
two hours is not a guarantee, nor should that level of response be
expected.

We'll do what we can to help, but some answers take some careful
consideration and research.  We don't want to spit out the first thing
that comes into our heads; otherwise, that could encourage some rude
atmosphere here.

The page "How to Ask Questions the Smart Way" talks about this in less
diplomatic language:

    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#urgent

But the idea is: we see your question.  At least one of us here on Tutor
will reply when we have the time to contribute.  If no one responds in
some time, we'll say that we don't think we can help you, but we'll try to
point you to people who can.

Just try not hurry people to answer your questions here.  Some of us have
day jobs, and others haven't gotten out of their classrooms yet!  *grin*

Good luck to you.